This week we have continued to make changes to our cube intake prototype and have decided on a somewhat final design. We made the design in SolidWorks (CAD) and then cut it out of MDF on our X-Carve. This design looks much more promising and is able to pick up the Power Cube from any orientation (the cube is 13" x 13" x 11".) We also switched the wheels on the intake from the 60A durometer 4" compliant wheels to the 35A (green) durometer 4" compliant wheels. These wheels can compress much further and allow us to hold the cube more securely.
We have finalized our drive train CAD and started working on the elevator and climber. The first climber hook designed by our team looks promising but does not include a latch. We have decided to create a second version which includes a locking latch which should help us be more stable on the bar. We will be cutting this design out on the X-Carve next week and testing it.
The field elements are almost finished. We have built the scale and exchange but are still working on the switch and its fence.
We also worked with the BadgerBOTS corporation to sort LEGO robotics kits for the local FIRST Lego League teams. This will ensure that all of the teams get the same parts and all get a chance to learn about robotics at a young age.
One of our students also testified in front of the Wisconsin Committee of Science and Technology to get more funding for robotics teams in Wisconsin. She was joined by FIRST Tech Challenge students as well as FIRST Robotics Competition students from other teams around Wisconsin. This was a great experience and yet another example of FIRST being more than just robotics!